Kirsten Davenport, J.D., LL.M
Kirsten Davenport was born in Pennsylvania but became a Texan in 1978. She earned her B.Mus. degree from the University of Texas in 1992. She received her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Tulsa College of Law in 1995. Upon graduating from law school, she began working for a Board Certified Family law attorney representing individuals in need of legal advice in divorce and child custody proceedings. She then left to join a litigation boutique law firm (Cooper & Scully, P.C.) primarily focusing on representing health care professionals and legal professionals in malpractice disputes involving claims of negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, deceptive trade practices and fraud. She left that firm in 2011 to join the Davenport Law Firm.
Kirsten’s practice includes:
- legal negligence and malpractice
- professional negligence
- general malpractice
- professional licensing
- premises liability
- employment disputes
- family law
In 2006, Kirsten was recognized as a “Rising Star” by Texas Monthly’s Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars magazine.
Kirsten has further distinguished herself by obtaining a LL.M. in Health Law from the University of Houston in 2007. Her master’s thesis analyzed a widely publicized Texas Supreme Court case concerning custody of cryo-preserved embryos. Kirsten also authored a paper on the regulation of the practice of expert witnessing in Texas medical malpractice litigation. Articles written by Kirsten address issues pertaining to the FDA’s oversight of bird flu preparedness and concerns of medical identity theft. She has been retained by various medical care facilities to advice them on various Health Law issues. She has also been a frequent lecturer on Health Law issues.
Kirsten has been married for over 20 years and is an active member of St. Martha’s Catholic Church. She is a Troop Leader for the Girl Scouts. She also volunteers as a member of the Orchestra for the annual production of Nightcourt — an all lawyer musical, acting, dancing “Broadway-esque” show, which has raised over $825,000 for the HBA charities.
- LL.M., University of Houston Law Center, 2007
- Juris Doctor, University of Tulsa College of Law, 1995
- B.Mus., University of Texas at Austin, 1992
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2008
Honors and Awards:
- Selected in Texas Monthly’s Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars magazine for 2006
- Michael Von Blon & Associates – Associate (1996-2003)
- Cooper & Scully, PC – Partner (2003-2011)
- Davenport Law Firm, PC – Shareholder (2011-pres.)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- The Burta Rhoads Raborn Family Law Inns of Court
- Houston Bar Association
- Treatment Disputes Under the Texas Advance Directives Act, 6th Annual Forum on Health Care Liability, sponsored by Cooper & Scully, September 23, 2005 (panelist).
- Key Updates in Healthcare Regulation: Clinical Integration, The Latest on Stark, 8th Annual Advanced Forum on Health Care Liability, Sponsored by Cooper & Scully, October 17, 2008.