Scott Davenport J.D., M.B.A.
Scott began practicing law in 1994 with a Houston litigation boutique in its commercial litigation section. During his tenure there, he represented financial institutions, restaurants, manufacturers, car dealerships, service providers, oil and gas providers, and other business entities in a variety of complex commercial disputes and personal injury defense matters.
In 1998, he joined a litigation boutique firm (lead by famed trial attorney Mack Glover) and expanded his practice to include representing individuals and families involved in trucking and commercial motor vehicle accidents, auto accidents, slip and falls, premises liability, and general negligence, typically involving catastrophic injuries or death as well as suing insurance companies for delaying or denying legitimate insurance claims. He continues to act as outside general counsel for numerous businesses in Texas.
Due to his tremendous experience handling litigation matters, Scott has been Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 2005. Board Certification is a mark of excellence and a distinguishing accomplishment. Within the Texas legal community, Board Certification means an attorney has substantial, relevant experience in a select field of law as well as demonstrated, and tested, special competence in that area of law. Less than 10% of attorneys in Texas are Board Certified.
Since 2004, Scott has maintained the highest rating, AV Preeminent, from Martindale Hubbell, a peer review rating organization. In 2006, and 2010-2015, H Texas Magazine recognized Scott as one of Houston’s Top Lawyers for the People for Personal Injury Litigation. Scott has been recognized as a Top Rated AV Preeminent Lawyer with a practice area in Commercial Litigation by The American Lawyer Magazine. Scott was also honored as having made Houstonia Magazine’s 2013 and 2014 TOP LAWYERS list. This list was created by an unbiased third party board created to hand pick the top legal professionals in Houston.
Scott has received his Transportation Worker Identification Credentials (“T.W.I.C.”) issued by the Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Coast Guard. The TWIC card gives Scott unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, outer continental shelf facilities, and vessels regulated under the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002, or MTSA, and all U.S. Coast Guard credentialed merchant mariners.
Scott has been married for over 20 years and is an active member of St. Martha’s Catholic Church. He coaches girls soccer for the Texas Heatwave, served as Cubmaster and Assistant Den Leader for Cub Scout Pack 909 in Humble, Texas, and is the Scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 1922 in Atascocita, TX . He is also the Executive Producer and a castmember for the annual production of Nightcourt, an all lawyer musical, acting, dancing “Broadway-esque” show performed at the largest venues in Houston (Hobby Center and Wortham Center), which has raised over $825,000 for local legal charities. He is a die-hard Boston Red Sox fan and a long-time season ticket holder for the Houston Texans and Texas Longhorns Football.
- Juris Doctor, University of Tulsa College of Law, 1994
- Masters in Business Administration, University of Tulsa, 1994
- B.S. Business Administration, University of Rhode Island, 1990
(Double Major: Finance and Marketing)
- Arizona, 2013
- Minnesota, 2006
- Texas, 1994
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1996
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1999
Honors and Awards
- American Jurisprudence Award – Commercial Law and Transactions (1994)
- Houston’s Top Lawyers for the People for Personal Injury Litigation, H Texas Magazine (2006; 2010-2014)
- Top Rated AV Preeminent Lawyer-Commercial Litigation, American Lawyer Magazine (2013)
- TOP LAWYERS, Houstonia Magazine (2013-2014)
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell (2004-present)
- Ryan and Sudan LLP – Associate (1994-1998)
- Glover Anderson Lewis & Prebeg, PC – Associate (1998-2000)
- Glover Lewis & Prebeg, PC – Associate (2000-2002)
- Glover Miller Lewis & Prebeg, PC – Partner (2002-2005)
- Miller Lewis and Davenport PC – Shareholder (2005-2008)
- Lewis Davenport & Hildebrand PC – Shareholder (2008-2010)
- Davenport Law Firm, PC – Shareholder (2010-Present)
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2005; recertified in 2010 and 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Houston Bar Association, Litigation Section
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section
- National Order of Barristers
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Zeta Beta Tau
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Transportation Worker Identification Credentials (“T.W.I.C.”) (December 2012-Present)
- Storefront Safety Council – Member